I was just reading the article in India Today, where they mentioned 10 simple ways of saving fuel. I found the article very useful and thought of sharing it with my readers. So here it goes :
- Drive easy within the prescribed speed limits. Take off your leg from the clutch pedal after changing the gear, and also avoid hard acceleration. Driving at a highest gear ( depending on speed ) makes the engine spins at a lesser rpm and hence giving you a better fuel economy.
- Tyre Pressure is another important factor. Make sure the tyres are inflated properly and also are properly aligned for better fuel economy and safer driving.
- Get your vehicle serviced properly and at the right time, so that the Car’s engine is healthy and hence burn less fuel. It will even save your maintenance cost for the vehicle.
- If possible try avoiding rush hour traffic. If by leaving 30 minutes early can help you avoiding a lot of traffic, then its always better to do so. Battling traffic everyday is even bad for your health.
For shopping, choose early morning at weekends. This will help you save time on road while going out for shopping.
- Slow Down in advance when you see a red signal or when you are approaching your destination. This will avoid usage of sudden brake and also will help you maintain safe distance from other vehicles.
- Switch off your AC 5 minutes before your reach your destination as Car remain cool for that much distance. Use good quality sun films (which reduce solar energy upto 50% ) from getting your car heated up.
- Try to combine different chores at the same travel , rather than postponing them to different time. Ex : While driving back to office you can go to bank , shop grocery etc which you might have planned later.
- Keep your car clean especially during monsoon season. The muck that sticks to the car add to weight and hence increase the drag as well. Cleaning your car will prevent rusting and also will cost save you in longer run.
- The most important, fill your car in the coldest part of the day i.e mornings. As cold fuel has maximum density , hence you get more fuel for same reading than you would while filling it on a hot day. Also,fill it at a place you trust, so that you know what you are paying for.
- Prevent carrying stuff which you use once in a while, in your car everyday. Travel light as much as possible which will help reduce fuel consumption. The more light your car is more fuel you can save.
- Finally, follow lane discipline to prevent traveling distance and accidents , keep your car’s emission checked at regular interval and avoid add too many accessories to the car which again increase weight.
If we can follow these simple points, we can together make a huge difference in saving fuel. If you have any other points of fuel saving, do share it in comments .
SAVE FUEL , SAVE ENVIRONMENT